Just like all mechanical equipment, your heat pump needs timely maintenance to stay in good working condition. Routine preventative care can keep your equipment operating reliably, so your home stays comfortable year-round. Proper maintenance can also keep your utility bills in check since a poorly-maintained heat pump can burn 25 percent more energy every year. Although a routine annual checkup of your heat pump is advised, there are also several maintenance tips you can carry out yourself to keep things running smoothly all year round.
Keep Things Running Smoothly
- Inspect your air filter once a month, and change it when there’s any visible dirt accumulation. Be sure to choose replacement filters that match the guidelines in your owner’s manual.
- Unless you have a variable-speed fan motor, keep your thermostat fan setting on auto.
- Keep the vegetation trimmed back 18 inches away from your outdoor unit, and keep this area free of leaves, branches, and general yard debris.
- A few times a year, use your garden hose to gently wash away any grass clippings before dusting off outdoor coils.
- Shut off the power to your outdoor unit periodically and clean the fan blades.
- Vacuum any dust from your supply and return registers, and ensure long drapes, furniture or area rugs are not blocking your heat pump.
A dirty filter restricts the flow of air, impairing the system’s energy efficiency and placing unnecessary wear on the components. It’s shocking how often problems with an HVAC unit are due to dirty, clogged, or old filters and can be easily solved. If you use 1-inch fiberglass filters, consider upgrading to a more efficient type. Better filters last longer and improve your air quality. Blocked air registers cause a pressure imbalance in your system, impairing its performance. Every couple of months, walk around your home to check that none of your registers or vents are blocked by furniture, drapes, or other items. No more than 10 percent of your registers should be closed!
Heating Tips from Ambient Cooling & Heating
At Ambient we use the latest technology to keep your home the perfect temperature throughout the year. With our knowledge and skills we offer installation, repairs and preventative maintenance that ensure your comfort in your home or commercial building. Are you interested in our Heating and Cooling Services? Call us today at 410-761-0932 or contact us online. If you are interested in more about heating and cooling services, visit us on our Facebook page or check us out on Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.